Saturday, April 12, 2014
Gorge Owned (GO!) is accepting nominations for the fourth-annual Tod J. LeFevre Sustainability Champion Awards, which celebrates people who are working on innovative, creative solutions to the environmental, economic and social issues facing the Gorge.
GO! will present the awards to one individual, one business and one student at the Gorge Earth Day celebration on Tuesday, April 22, at the Columbia Center for the Arts.
LeFevre was a longtime resident of Hood River who passed away on March 7, 2011, when his struggle with pulmonary fibrosis ended before donor lungs could be found.
“Tod was a passionate and humble person who exemplified the change GO! wishes to inspire others to make in the world,” according to a press release.
Among many other things, LeFevre was a respected civil engineer with Skamania County, Wash., who eventually launched a solar engineering and installation firm, Common Energy, which is currently owned and operated by Scott Sorensen. LeFevre is survived by his wife, Marti, and children, Cassell and Sutton Bell.
Nominations for the Tod J. LeFevre Sustainability Champion Awards must be made no later than April 15. To nominate someone, go to: bit.ly/1kQxXfn.
In addition to announcing the winners of the Tod J. LeFevre Sustainability Champion Awards at the Gorge Earth Day celebration on April 22, GO! will be screening “The Clean Bin Project,” an award-winning documentary film that looks at our “throw-away society.”
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge