Saturday, April 12, 2014
Sigrid Scully of Hood River and Doug Leash of The Dalles will receive Lifetime Achievement Awards at the 2014 Governor’s Volunteer Awards.
The luncheon is April 24 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Salem Conference Center.
Scully is being honored for her volunteer work with Start Making A Reader Today, Foster Grandparent Program, and Oregon Long-Term Care Ombudsman.
Leash is honored for his work with the Old St. Peter’s Landmark.
Some of the most outstanding volunteers from throughout Oregon will be honored, including 22 individuals or duos and 10 volunteer programs. Of those, eight will be state-level awards, and 24 will be regional awards.
“These volunteers represent the very best of Oregon,” said Gov. John Kitzhaber. “They have found and filled needs in their community, using common purpose, compassion, and ingenuity to make a huge and lasting difference. I congratulate and thank them for their service.”
The luncheon is open to the public. Tickets are $30 and must be purchased by April 17 at bit.ly/1lVrL9M.
The Oregon Volunteers Commission for Voluntary Action and Service organizes the awards program. Wells Fargo sponsors the awards and will make a cash grant to a nonprofit organization selected by each winner.
The winners of this year’s awards emerged from an extraordinary competition. Oregon Volunteer received a record 114 nominations this year, a 46-ppercent increase over the last awards. Volunteer engagement leaders from across the state carefully reviewed the nominations to select the winners.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge