Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Rockford Community Grange celebrates Grange Month with an open house.
The community is invited to come see the 100-plus-year-old Grange building and learn about the Patrons of Husbandry.
The shindig will feature a 4-H petting zoo, a plant sale and seed swap, and demonstrations and exhibits by Grow Organic and Gorge Local Currency Cooperative.
In addition, Aram, a local dance community cultivator, will give dance lessons in the basic styles like salsa, swing and two-step.
A community potluck will start at 6 p.m. Rockford Grange members will provide the main dishes.
Grange was started after the Civil War ended in an effort to help the south recover its agricultural base. It was the first fraternal organization to give everyone in the family, including women, a vote and ability to hold leadership positions.
Granges continue to support farmers and rural lifestyle through legislative and community good works. The Grange invites anyone, young and old to consider joining your local Grange, to preserve the age-old traditions, classic buildings and community service.
The Grange Open House will be held Saturday, April 26, starting at 3 p.m. and going until 8 p.m. This is a free, public event.
Rockford Community Grange is located at 4520 Barrett Drive, next door to the West Side Fire Department.
For more information about the Grange and joining contact president Mark England at 541-490-3881; for Rockford Grange rentals contact Linda Short at 541-490-9287.
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Express bus starts Memorial Day weekend
- Missing woman reported, last seen in Stevenson
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party fun
- Memorial Day Weekend events … and beyond
- DRAGON DASH
- Acute story
- Memorial Day service, May 29 at Idlewilde
- Sports briefs for May 27
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society meets June 10 at Discovery Center
- The Dalles museums offer free admission for military
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge