Wednesday, April 30, 2014
The high-ceilinged lobby of Providence Down Manor retirement living center had the look of a mini-airport on April 18, with dozens of small aircraft on the ground and, in some cases, in the air.
Columbia Gorge Aeromodelers members Al Hawkins, Dave Hmiel, Chris Christopher, Chuck Weatherly, Roy Pettit, Stewart Fletcher and Zed Ruhlen put on a model display at Down Manor on April 18.
More than 40 models were displayed, plus beautiful scratch-built RC boats by Stewart Fletcher. Chris Christopher of Hood River showed and explained videos of flying on his iPad.
Pettit and Ruhlen flew quadcopters, helicopters, and Vapors in the two-story commons area; it was too windy to fly outside. Coffee and cookies were provided by Down Manor.
The event was organized by Tom Yates of Down Manor and Roy Pettit of CGA. Down Manor residents turned out and learned about RC aircraft (and water craft).
More like this story
- Newborn season: Fish and Wildlife says leave young wildlife in the wild
- Pool notes: Dollar open swim offered Memorial Day
- Entertainment Update for May 25
- Death announcement for May 23: Anna Olson
- Hood River Valley wins 5A boys track title
- Water bottling ban passes, legal questions remain
- Murder suspect bails out, gets jailed again
- On the Marks: Dist. 52 candidates talk next moves
- Women pastors lead all three UCC congregations in the Gorge
- Fresh Start Culinary Arts seeks applicants for summer
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge