Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Fresh snow, a smaller than usual field of racers and familiarity with the hilly course at the Mount Hood Meadows Nordic Center worked to the Hood River Valley High School Nordic teams’ advantage Friday night, as both boys and girls teams made clean sweeps of the competition.
Many central Oregon skiers in the Oregon High School Nordic Organization league passed on the race, allowing the HRV team a clear path to the top positions in the race, held at twilight Friday night.
The HRV boys squad powered through the course and claimed the top seven positions out of the field of 26 racers, led by Juho Muhonen in first (13:36), Sam Wiley in second (13:40) and Daniel Fischer in third.
The HRV girls finished with a solid win as well, claiming positions two through six to take the team win in the order of Delia Dolan(18:53), Denali Emmons (19:18), Lauren Robinson, Daisy Dolan (19:50) and Miranda Starr (20:09)
Next up for the high school racers is a “hot pursuit” formatted race at MHM Nordic Center Feb. 8, which means racers complete a 3K Classic stage, change boots, skis, and poles halfway through and finish with a 4K skate race.
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Mosier groundwater contaminated after derailment spill
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge