Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Fresh snow, a smaller than usual field of racers and familiarity with the hilly course at the Mount Hood Meadows Nordic Center worked to the Hood River Valley High School Nordic teams’ advantage Friday night, as both boys and girls teams made clean sweeps of the competition.
Many central Oregon skiers in the Oregon High School Nordic Organization league passed on the race, allowing the HRV team a clear path to the top positions in the race, held at twilight Friday night.
The HRV boys squad powered through the course and claimed the top seven positions out of the field of 26 racers, led by Juho Muhonen in first (13:36), Sam Wiley in second (13:40) and Daniel Fischer in third.
The HRV girls finished with a solid win as well, claiming positions two through six to take the team win in the order of Delia Dolan(18:53), Denali Emmons (19:18), Lauren Robinson, Daisy Dolan (19:50) and Miranda Starr (20:09)
Next up for the high school racers is a “hot pursuit” formatted race at MHM Nordic Center Feb. 8, which means racers complete a 3K Classic stage, change boots, skis, and poles halfway through and finish with a 4K skate race.
More like this story
- Fun at the CGWA Beach Bash
- Yesteryears: Summer heatwave hits valley in 1936
- Roots and Branches: Grandkids, softball, memories
- ‘Before I Die’ encourages reflection
- Color Run for Haiti
- How does July 4, 2016, Stack Up?
- Keep fireworks legal, and safe
- Letters to the Editor for June 29
- ‘Weed of the Month for June’ is the invasive Scotch broom
- Pet of the Week: Jack is ‘full of energy and fun’
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge