Saturday, February 8, 2014
CAST will hold auditions for the drama “Blackbird” on Feb. 22 and 23 at 2 p.m. Call-backs will be on Feb. 27 at 6 p.m. Show dates are May 8-11 and 15-17.
Judie Hanel directs the play by David Harrower.
“Blackbird” sets up a confrontation between Ray, a disheveled, unremarkable man, and Una, a sharp, brittle, beautiful young woman. They were lovers, many years earlier, and ran away together. Real life caught up with them. Ray was sent to prison, but has managed to rebuild his life.
Now, 15 years later, Una has tracked him down and wants to tell him about her life since last they met.
Hanel said, “Harrower looks below the headlines to ask whether there’s a role for love amid the mess. The questions raised are uncomfortable and necessary.”
The character specifications are: Una, a female in her 20s to 40s; Ray, a male in his 40s to 60s, and a girl, 12, who has a few lines at the end of the play.
Hanel said that anyone interested in this role will need to contact her by email before the auditions to arrange a separate time to audition. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
“This play demands commitment and emotional vulnerability from its actors,” Hanel said.
Script samples will be available at the gallery desk at Columbia Center for the Arts to check out. For details contact Hanel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge