Saturday, February 8, 2014
CAST will hold auditions for the drama “Blackbird” on Feb. 22 and 23 at 2 p.m. Call-backs will be on Feb. 27 at 6 p.m. Show dates are May 8-11 and 15-17.
Judie Hanel directs the play by David Harrower.
“Blackbird” sets up a confrontation between Ray, a disheveled, unremarkable man, and Una, a sharp, brittle, beautiful young woman. They were lovers, many years earlier, and ran away together. Real life caught up with them. Ray was sent to prison, but has managed to rebuild his life.
Now, 15 years later, Una has tracked him down and wants to tell him about her life since last they met.
Hanel said, “Harrower looks below the headlines to ask whether there’s a role for love amid the mess. The questions raised are uncomfortable and necessary.”
The character specifications are: Una, a female in her 20s to 40s; Ray, a male in his 40s to 60s, and a girl, 12, who has a few lines at the end of the play.
Hanel said that anyone interested in this role will need to contact her by email before the auditions to arrange a separate time to audition. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
“This play demands commitment and emotional vulnerability from its actors,” Hanel said.
Script samples will be available at the gallery desk at Columbia Center for the Arts to check out. For details contact Hanel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge