Saturday, February 8, 2014
CAST will hold auditions for the drama “Blackbird” on Feb. 22 and 23 at 2 p.m. Call-backs will be on Feb. 27 at 6 p.m. Show dates are May 8-11 and 15-17.
Judie Hanel directs the play by David Harrower.
“Blackbird” sets up a confrontation between Ray, a disheveled, unremarkable man, and Una, a sharp, brittle, beautiful young woman. They were lovers, many years earlier, and ran away together. Real life caught up with them. Ray was sent to prison, but has managed to rebuild his life.
Now, 15 years later, Una has tracked him down and wants to tell him about her life since last they met.
Hanel said, “Harrower looks below the headlines to ask whether there’s a role for love amid the mess. The questions raised are uncomfortable and necessary.”
The character specifications are: Una, a female in her 20s to 40s; Ray, a male in his 40s to 60s, and a girl, 12, who has a few lines at the end of the play.
Hanel said that anyone interested in this role will need to contact her by email before the auditions to arrange a separate time to audition. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
“This play demands commitment and emotional vulnerability from its actors,” Hanel said.
Script samples will be available at the gallery desk at Columbia Center for the Arts to check out. For details contact Hanel at email@example.com.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge