Saturday, February 8, 2014
A new play examining important cross-cultural dynamics in a high school setting premiers at Hood River Valley High School.
“Does My Head Look Big In This?” by Jeff Gottesfeld and Elizabeth Wong opens Feb. 28.
WHEN AND WHERE
Performances are Feb. 28 and March 1, 8, 9, 14, 15 at 7 p.m. and the March 10 at 2 p.m., Bowe
Tickets: $5 for
$7 for adults.
Delaney Barbour plays the character of Amal, and is in every scene onstage. The other actors as well as the techies play multiple roles.
“The play was published two months ago and we are the first ones to debut it,” announced director Rachel Harry.
The play is based on the novel of the same name by Randa Abdel-Fattah. It chronicles the journey a Muslim teen takes when she decides to wear her head-and-body-covering hijab garment to school.
Community members are offering their cultural expertise to give the production its critical veracity and respect for Islamic culture.
HRVHS Art teacher Amirra Malak, who is of Egyptian descent, is painting accurate renderings of Islamic, Christian and Judaic religion on the set pieces.
Houssein Salman of Hood River as well as his daughter, Rhianna, are coaching the actors on how to wear certain articles of clothing, correct pronunciation and other details.
Three Jewish students are in the play, including one who plays the Muslim mom, coaching the Muslim student in correct Hebrew pronunciation and correct Arabic pronunciation.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Elks’ Oktoberfest returns Sept. 23
- Roots and Branches: There is no masking care
- YESTERYEARS: Odell Sanitation District opens bids for new plant in 1967
- Wy’east class of ’67 celebrates 50-year reunion
- Foster Parenting: Simple answers to a challenging task
- Success is one caring adult away
- Pet of the Week: Bojangles looking for an active family
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 20 edition
- ‘Overwhelming enthusiasm’: Community comes together for firefighters
- Parkhurst Place plans ‘thank you’ this week for fire first responders
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge