Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Collette Vacations will be presenting a slideshow and information session on three upcoming tours coordinated by Hood River native Kay Lincoln. The free tour overview will take place March 5, 11 a.m.-noon at the Charburger Restaurant, 4100 Westcliff Drive in Hood River.
A portion of proceeds from the tour will support the Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital Foundation scholarship fund.
Tour options for 2014 include a visit to sunny Portugal, May 23-June 1, the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, Oct. 8-13, and a cultural exploration of Cuba, Nov. 30-Dec. 8.
Lincoln, a 12-year hospital volunteer at Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital, notes that the tour program has generated $6,000 in scholarship funds to date — all being used by local health care workers and students.
“The volunteer association or Auxiliary has been giving out scholarships since 1996,” said Brandi Sheppard, volunteer coordinator for PRHMH and Lincoln’s supervisor. “They have given out a total of 133 scholarships over the years. The money Kay has raised granted seven scholarships.”
Lincoln volunteers her time weekly to support patient care throughout the hospital but she also believes in the power of education to train up the next generation of health care providers. She has worked for the last five years to raise funds that are given out each year as scholarships to nursing students, health aides and others working in the health care field.
To find out more about the auxiliary scholarship program contact Julie Raefield-Gobbo at 541-387-6950 or email: Julie.Raefield-Gobbo@providence.org.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge