Wednesday, February 12, 2014
I am getting so sick of reading Gary Fields’ letters about our representative Greg Walden. My dad Ralph Smiley helped launch his career and he got elected. When Greg needed my dad’s support, my dad was always there to help him. And Greg has done a great job ever since he’s been in office.
My dad and I always voted for Greg when it was time to vote for him.
Equality for all
When will same-sex marriages be legal in Oregon? It seems like a long time coming.
With each advance in equality there have been the same or similar concerns, “It will unravel the fabric of our families and our society if slaves are free or educated; if women can vote, have reproductive rights, share in equal pay for equal employment. If we provide quality day care, nutrition in schools, homogenized milk or parks or playgrounds.”
Same-sex marriage in Oregon is simply another step in equal access to the same rights, privileges and responsibilities that are accessible to other members of our society.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge