Wednesday, February 12, 2014
I am getting so sick of reading Gary Fields’ letters about our representative Greg Walden. My dad Ralph Smiley helped launch his career and he got elected. When Greg needed my dad’s support, my dad was always there to help him. And Greg has done a great job ever since he’s been in office.
My dad and I always voted for Greg when it was time to vote for him.
Equality for all
When will same-sex marriages be legal in Oregon? It seems like a long time coming.
With each advance in equality there have been the same or similar concerns, “It will unravel the fabric of our families and our society if slaves are free or educated; if women can vote, have reproductive rights, share in equal pay for equal employment. If we provide quality day care, nutrition in schools, homogenized milk or parks or playgrounds.”
Same-sex marriage in Oregon is simply another step in equal access to the same rights, privileges and responsibilities that are accessible to other members of our society.
More like this story
- How to Help: Ways to give locally during the holiday season
- USDA invests $13 Million to improve healthcare in Columbia River Gorge
- Local Lure: This holiday, help your community by spending close to home
- Another Voice: County Energy Plan demonstrates leadership and resilience
- Columbia Gorge CASA welcomes new volunteers
- The Porch for Nov. 25 edition
- ‘Chicago’ preparations: Local choreographer offers dance lessons
- ‘The Little Prince’ auditions scheduled for Dec. 11-12
- ‘National Pear Month’ marked in December
- Gleaning: Where surplus and hunger meet
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge