Wednesday, February 12, 2014
A man suspected of committing a murder in Umatilla County last week was arrested early evening Feb. 10 in Hood River, according to Oregon State Police.
OSP Lieutenant Patrick Shortt of The Dalles Area Command reported that Timothy Allan Kelly, 22, was arrested at 5:20 p.m. at the Hood River Marina by the Blue Mountain Enforcement Narcotics Team out of Pendleton.
According to a report by the East Oregonian, Kelly is accused of shooting 25-year-old Daniel Dechand outside of Hermiston the afternoon of Feb. 4. Dechand died from his wounds shortly after arriving at Good Shepherd Medical Center in Hermiston the same afternoon.
Kelly reportedly fled the scene according to the East Oregonian’s story, and the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office put out an “attempt to locate” alert Friday in all western states for Kelly.
Shortt said it was his understanding that Kelly had eventually decided to turn himself in several days after the incident and that Hood River was the agreed upon location. No definitive information was available as of press time as to why Hood River was the site chosen. Shortt said OSP provided backup during the arrest.
According to the Umatilla County Jail roster, Kelly is currently being held on $1 million bond for the murder charge.
UCSO and the Umatilla County District Attorney’s Office were contacted for more information about the nature of the arrest, but none had been released as of press time.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge