Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Oregon State Police is continuing the investigation into Friday afternoon’s single-vehicle fatal crash that resulted in the death of a female passenger on Interstate 84 near Rooster Rock State Park. Names of the involved are provided in this release.
According to OSP, at approximately 2:09 p.m., a 1988 Ford Explorer, operated by Andrew Evensen, 35, from Portland, was westbound on I-84 at milepost 25.
Evensen lost control on the icy roadway and the Ford Explorer went off the roadway and collided broadside into a tree, according to OSP. Highway conditions were extremely bad with ice on the road and wind gusting up to 35 mph and blowing snow.
OSP troopers from the Fish and Wildlife Division arrived on scene prior to EMS and performed CPR on the passenger, identified as Kimberly Hayes, 37, from Portland, until EMS arrived and pronounced her deceased. Evensen was transported by ground ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center with serious injuries. Both occupants were wearing safety belts at the time of the crash.
OSP was assisted at the scene by ODOT and local fire and EMS.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge