Saturday, February 15, 2014
Kids can sign up now for a theater opportunity hosted by Columbia Center for the Arts.
Missoula Children’s Theater is coming in February for a production of Hansel and Gretel. This is a fun and focused one- week theater experience open to all children in the Gorge, grades 1-12.
No experience or advance preparation is necessary to audition for one of the approximately 55 roles. Auditions are Monday, Feb. 24, at Wy’east Middle School near Odell from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Those auditioning should plan to stay for the full two hours. Some of the cast members will be asked to stay for a rehearsal until 8 p.m. immediately following the auditions.
Rehearsals will be Feb 25 to 28 from 3:30 to 8 p.m. Among the roles to be cast are those intrepid adventurers Hansel and Gretel; their Granny; the Wildwood Witch and her loyal servants the crafty cooks; modern-day campers — somehow lost in time in the wood; lots of Rascals — denizens of the deep; and a flock of cuddly Wallybirds. Assistant directors will also be cast to aid in rehearsals throughout the week and to take on essential backstage responsibilities.
Pre-registration is available now through Hood River Community Education; there is a part for every child so pre-registration is encouraged. The cost is $40 per child. Several scholarships are available if needed. Productions are complete with costumes, scenery, props and makeup.
Register at hrcommunityed.org or call 541-386-2055.
The community is invited to see the performances March 1 at 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. at Wy’east Middle School. Tickets are $5 each.
For more information contact Jessica Metta at 541-387-3872 or visit columbia-arts.org/theater.html.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge