Saturday, February 22, 2014
The Columbia Gorge chapter of the Ice Age Floods Institute, Waucoma Bookstore, and Hood River County Library District are pleased to host author and geologist Bruce Bjornstad for a presentation about the overlooked Glacial Lake Columbia, a known source of the ancient floods that helped shaped the Columbia Gorge.
The presentation will be on Saturday, March 1, at 1 p.m. in the Reading Room at the Hood River Library
Massive Ice Age floods from Glacial Lake Missoula are well known and documented for this region.
Another, less well-known source for outburst floods was Glacial Lake Columbia that released a last deluge at the end of the Ice Age, about 12,000 years ago. Prior to that time, Lake Columbia played a major role in resupplying our deeper basalt aquifers for thousands of years.
However, with the draining of Lake Columbia, recharge water to the deep basalts was permanently cut off. Today water levels are dropping precipitously as irrigation wells continue to mine the unreplenished “fossil” water.
A resident of Richland, Wash., Bruce Bjornstad is a licensed geologist/hydro-geologist who has studied the Ice Age floods since 1980.
He is a senior research scientist at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. He is an active member of the Ice Age Floods Institute and regularly lectures and leads field trips on the subject.
This program is free and open to the public. For more information, please contact the Hood River County Library District at 541-386-2535, email@example.com, or visit the website of the Columbia Gorge Chapter of the Ice Age Floods Institute at http://gorgefloods.org/.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge