Saturday, February 22, 2014
Plenty of kids got into the fun at the first Aporkalypse Now event for Helping Hands Against Violence, at Springhouse Cellar Feb. 12.
The first bacon-eating contest ever on record in Hood River was won by Nick Alvarado, 12. Harlie Smith, 9, and Jacy Johnston, 9, gave the contest a try, but they didn’t put away quite as much bacon in one minute as Nick.
The bacon eating came after a time of socializing and tasting bacon-oriented dishes by local chefs, and a bacon poetry contest, won by Bob Camillucci.
“The event was a huge success thanks to so many who donated time, efforts and their skills for such an imperative cause,” said victims advocate Karen Schultz.
Organizers expressed thanks to the many people who donated time, efforts and their skills for the cause. Judges were Sen. Chuck Thomsen; Gary Gorman; Hood River Mayor Arthur Babitz, Temira Lital (“The Gorge Is My Gym’); Francois Pelletier, Columbia Graphics; and John Hitt, Solera Brewery in Parkdale.
Chefs were: Apple Valley BBQ, Judge’s Choice Award; White Buffalo Wine Bar, People’s Choice Award; Double Mountain Brewery Tap Room; Stonehedge Restaurant; Trout Lake’s The Station Café.
A special thanks to Roger and Lee Montavon for donating a whole, personally raised hog, with half a hog donated to each winner.
Helping Hands is a nonprofit organization, dependent upon federal grant funding, and community donations. Every dollar, every hour donated reaches far beyond the immediate need, and guarantees HHAV the ability to continue serving, and giving back to our local community. To learn more about giving back to Helping Hands, along with the services it provides, visit: helpinghandsoregon.com.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge