McCafferty faces new child sex abuse charges

A Hood River man accused of raping an underage girl last month is now facing new charges after allegedly touching the private parts of two girls under the age of 14.

John Gale McCafferty, 42, was charged last week with two felony counts of first-degree sexual abuse. The incidents occured sometime between July 29, 2004, and July 28, 2005, in Hood River County.

McCafferty was also indicted on Feb. 6 for one count of first-degree sexual abuse after allegedly touching another girl, also under the age of 14, sometime during April of last year.

According to Oregon’s statute of limitations, first-degree sexual abuse charges can be prosecuted “within six years after the commission of the crime or, if the victim at the time of the crime was under 18 years of age, anytime before the victim attains 30 years of age or within 12 years after the offense is reported to a law enforcement agency or the Department of Human Services, whichever occurs first.”

The new cases bring the total number of charges filed against McCafferty to eight. McCafferty was originally arrested last month on felony charges of first-degree rape and first-degree sexual abuse as well as misdemeanor charges of contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor, third-degree sexual abuse, and fourth-degree assault. Those charges stem from a Jan. 19 incident when McCafferty allegedly had sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of 18 by means of “forcible compulsion.”

Bail was originally set at $6,000 cash, but has now been raised to $25,000 in light of the new charges. McCafferty is currently being held at the Northern Oregon Regional Correctional Facility in The Dalles.

McCafferty’s next court date is scheduled for Feb. 26. If convicted, McCafferty faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 100 months in prison for the first-degree rape charge and 75 months for each first-degree sexual abuse charge.

Latest stories

Latest video:

Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive

The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge

Log in to comment