Saturday, January 4, 2014
On Jan. 9 Gorge Ecumenical Ministries will host a workshop on “Recognizing and Responding to the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children.”
All area clergy and other professionals are invited to attend this gathering at Hood River Valley Christian Church from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
A light lunch will be served.
The workshop will help participants to define the issue of CSEC/prevalence/ recruitment methods; and to provide information and ideas on ways clergy, congregations and citizens can help.
The presenter will be B. Milele Hobbs, a licensed commission minister of the Christian Church in Oregon (Disciples of Christ) who has served for more than 30 years in social services, specializing in work serving adolescents and families affected by poverty, addictions, mental illness and abuse/neglect and various trauma.
An evening workshop will be held at the same location from 6:30 to 8 p.m. for parents and other interested adults.
Hobbs retired from Mt. Hood Community College Steps to Success Program in 2003. She has completed training and become a volunteer speaker/educator on this issue since 2010.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Summer heatwave hits valley in 1936
- Roots and Branches: Grandkids, softball, memories
- ‘Before I Die’ encourages reflection
- Color Run for Haiti
- How does July 4, 2016, Stack Up?
- Keep fireworks legal, and safe
- Letters to the Editor for June 29
- ‘Weed of the Month for June’ is the invasive Scotch broom
- Pet of the Week: Jack is ‘full of energy and fun’
- Fire season is here: enjoy yourself, safely and legally
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge