Saturday, January 4, 2014
On Jan. 9 Gorge Ecumenical Ministries will host a workshop on “Recognizing and Responding to the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children.”
All area clergy and other professionals are invited to attend this gathering at Hood River Valley Christian Church from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
A light lunch will be served.
The workshop will help participants to define the issue of CSEC/prevalence/ recruitment methods; and to provide information and ideas on ways clergy, congregations and citizens can help.
The presenter will be B. Milele Hobbs, a licensed commission minister of the Christian Church in Oregon (Disciples of Christ) who has served for more than 30 years in social services, specializing in work serving adolescents and families affected by poverty, addictions, mental illness and abuse/neglect and various trauma.
An evening workshop will be held at the same location from 6:30 to 8 p.m. for parents and other interested adults.
Hobbs retired from Mt. Hood Community College Steps to Success Program in 2003. She has completed training and become a volunteer speaker/educator on this issue since 2010.
More like this story
- Vandalized sign prompts security precautions at CL School Friday
- Death Notices for Oct. 1: Jack Stone, Jack Stone, Viola Wells, and Gerald Culp
- Service Announcement for Oct. 1: Calvin Peck
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge