Saturday, January 4, 2014
On Jan. 9 Gorge Ecumenical Ministries will host a workshop on “Recognizing and Responding to the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children.”
All area clergy and other professionals are invited to attend this gathering at Hood River Valley Christian Church from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
A light lunch will be served.
The workshop will help participants to define the issue of CSEC/prevalence/ recruitment methods; and to provide information and ideas on ways clergy, congregations and citizens can help.
The presenter will be B. Milele Hobbs, a licensed commission minister of the Christian Church in Oregon (Disciples of Christ) who has served for more than 30 years in social services, specializing in work serving adolescents and families affected by poverty, addictions, mental illness and abuse/neglect and various trauma.
An evening workshop will be held at the same location from 6:30 to 8 p.m. for parents and other interested adults.
Hobbs retired from Mt. Hood Community College Steps to Success Program in 2003. She has completed training and become a volunteer speaker/educator on this issue since 2010.
More like this story
- Hood River County to direct $550K for park septic fixes
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
- Two quilt shows in the Gorge
- Roots and Branches: Principles set in stone
- YESTERYEARS: Cooper Spur district gets electric service in 1947
- Letters to the Editor, Oct. 18 edition
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge