Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Horizon’s girls basketball team hosted Central Christian Friday in what ended as a disappointing 29-16 loss. Trista Hicks had eight points in the game, followed by Hannah Kempf with five, to lead the Hawks in what was a frustrated offensive effort for the young team.
“I think the girls felt a little overconfident and we also underestimated this team tonight,” said coach Chad Leeson. “We came out flat and we were not well-focused. If we were, then it probably would’ve been a different outcome. We’re definitely making progress, though, and we’re getting better every week.”
A late-game 7-0 Hawks run with baskets by Hicks, Kempf and a three-pointer by freshman Kloee Brown (three pts.), trimmed the margin to 24-16 with 3:25 remaining in the game, giving the team a breath of life with a few minutes remaining. The Tigers answered with a 5-0 run of their own, however, to seal the win.
“This young team that is mostly freshmen (seven) is getting better and they’re learning,” Leeson said. “By the end of the season, I think we’ll be a pretty good team. We’re building for the future and if this group stays together, they could be a very good team in the years to come.”
The Hawks lost 46-9 to the Echo Cougars (3-2, 9-5) on the road Saturday for a seventh straight defeat. The team faced the Sherman Huskies Tuesday and hosts No. 5-ranked Dufur Jan. 17 at 6 p.m.
More like this story
- Cascade Locks brush fire contained
- Lorang Fine Art open house will be Oct. 4
- Body of missing paddle boarder found in Columbia River
- Lummi Totem visits Hood River
- Living with Smoke
- Toward a healthier HRV: Health Center serves students this fall
- CL Port hosts Aug. 29 Bridge of the Gods walk
- Lost hiker, 75, found safe at Laurance Lake
- Brian Stenberg returns to his roots as Horizon’s new A.D.
- In its fifth running, Paddle Challenge is bigger than ever
Helicopter searches for hiker
BLACKHAWK helicopter flies over Mt. Hood National Forest near Laurance Lake on Friday, Aug. 21. The military aircraft was called in to help police seek a missing hiker from The Dalles. Enlarge