Saturday, January 18, 2014
Horizon Christian School’s boys basketball team added another notch to its win column this week with a big 79-44 victory on the road Tuesday against Sherman. The 1A No. 1-ranked Hawks are now 11-1 overall as they steamroll into the heart of conference action. The boys moved on to host Dufur 7:30 p.m. Friday (results not available as of presstime) and travel to Arlington Saturday before hosting home games Jan. 21 vs. South Wasco and Jan. 24 vs. Condon/Wheeler.
Matt Totaro and Mason Bloomster scored 16 points each, Jared Davis had 15 and RJ Hicks and Wes Johnson had 10 apiece to lead the offensive charge against the Huskies in what was a tie for the Hawks’ highest-scoring game of the season — the other was a 79-72 win Dec. 14 vs. Amity. With three straight games scoring over 75 points, the Hawks are quickly gaining momentum in their quest to claim a fourth straight district title and reclaim the state title after finishing runner-up last season.
Looking around the rest of the 1A-6 Big Sky League, Horizon sits atop the standings with Nixyawii (11-3, 5-0 conference) and Ione (9-2, 3-0 conference). Horizon faces those teams Jan. 25 (at Nixyawii) and Jan. 21 at home. Around the state, Horizon is atop the 1A rankings ahead of Powder Valley, Triangle Lake, Imbler and Jordan Valley in the top five.
Jared Davis: 15 pts., 7 assists, 4 steals
Wes Johnson: 10 points
Micah Engel: 5 points, 10 rebounds, 9 assists
Ethan Evans: 5 points
Mason Bloomster: 16 points, 4 blocks
Matt Totaro: 16 points, 6 assists
RJ Hicks: 10 points
More like this story
- Appeals Court court affirms Hood River denial of Walmart expansion
- UPDATE: Southeast Mt. Hood fire grows to 60 acres
- Service announcement for Oct. 10
- Death notices for Oct. 7
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge