Saturday, January 18, 2014
Hood River gymnasts Poppy Miller and Jacy Johnston claimed state champion medals last month at the Oregon State Gymnastics Championships in Grants Pass. The two train with Riverside Gymnastics in The Dalles and traveled with eight others who also brought home first-place honors in individual events.
Johnston, competing in Level 3 events, was first in vault, first in floor, second in beam, sixth in bars and second all-around. Miller, at Level 4, was first in vault, third in bars, fourth in floor, seventh in beam and third all-around.
The girls qualified for the state competition by finishing in the top of their division at the preceding Oregon Northern Sectional Qualifier.
“I’m really glad the hard work has paid off so well,“ Miller said after earning her medals.
“It’s been a fun year having so many teammates and being able to win as a team,” Johnston said.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Elks’ Oktoberfest returns Sept. 23
- Roots and Branches: There is no masking care
- YESTERYEARS: Odell Sanitation District opens bids for new plant in 1967
- Wy’east class of ’67 celebrates 50-year reunion
- Foster Parenting: Simple answers to a challenging task
- Success is one caring adult away
- Pet of the Week: Bojangles looking for an active family
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 20 edition
- ‘Overwhelming enthusiasm’: Community comes together for firefighters
- Parkhurst Place plans ‘thank you’ this week for fire first responders
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge