Saturday, January 18, 2014
Hood River gymnasts Poppy Miller and Jacy Johnston claimed state champion medals last month at the Oregon State Gymnastics Championships in Grants Pass. The two train with Riverside Gymnastics in The Dalles and traveled with eight others who also brought home first-place honors in individual events.
Johnston, competing in Level 3 events, was first in vault, first in floor, second in beam, sixth in bars and second all-around. Miller, at Level 4, was first in vault, third in bars, fourth in floor, seventh in beam and third all-around.
The girls qualified for the state competition by finishing in the top of their division at the preceding Oregon Northern Sectional Qualifier.
“I’m really glad the hard work has paid off so well,“ Miller said after earning her medals.
“It’s been a fun year having so many teammates and being able to win as a team,” Johnston said.
More like this story
- HRMS teacher studies in Germany
- Police Log, Aug. 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 14 to 24
- Soccer Assist: Kudos for thoughtful behind-scenes work
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 29
- Editor's Notebook: Roanoke tragedy asks, ‘are we slaves to our technology?’
- Gorge Kids Tri adds music fest to lineup
- The Porch for Aug. 29
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 29
- Walmart sells 16.3 acres to Ryan’s Juice
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge