Saturday, January 18, 2014
Hood River gymnasts Poppy Miller and Jacy Johnston claimed state champion medals last month at the Oregon State Gymnastics Championships in Grants Pass. The two train with Riverside Gymnastics in The Dalles and traveled with eight others who also brought home first-place honors in individual events.
Johnston, competing in Level 3 events, was first in vault, first in floor, second in beam, sixth in bars and second all-around. Miller, at Level 4, was first in vault, third in bars, fourth in floor, seventh in beam and third all-around.
The girls qualified for the state competition by finishing in the top of their division at the preceding Oregon Northern Sectional Qualifier.
“I’m really glad the hard work has paid off so well,“ Miller said after earning her medals.
“It’s been a fun year having so many teammates and being able to win as a team,” Johnston said.
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Express bus starts Memorial Day weekend
- Missing woman reported, last seen in Stevenson
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party fun
- Memorial Day Weekend events … and beyond
- DRAGON DASH
- Acute story
- Memorial Day service, May 29 at Idlewilde
- Sports briefs for May 27
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society meets June 10 at Discovery Center
- The Dalles museums offer free admission for military
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge