Saturday, January 18, 2014
Hood River gymnasts Poppy Miller and Jacy Johnston claimed state champion medals last month at the Oregon State Gymnastics Championships in Grants Pass. The two train with Riverside Gymnastics in The Dalles and traveled with eight others who also brought home first-place honors in individual events.
Johnston, competing in Level 3 events, was first in vault, first in floor, second in beam, sixth in bars and second all-around. Miller, at Level 4, was first in vault, third in bars, fourth in floor, seventh in beam and third all-around.
The girls qualified for the state competition by finishing in the top of their division at the preceding Oregon Northern Sectional Qualifier.
“I’m really glad the hard work has paid off so well,“ Miller said after earning her medals.
“It’s been a fun year having so many teammates and being able to win as a team,” Johnston said.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge