Saturday, January 18, 2014
Hood River gymnasts Poppy Miller and Jacy Johnston claimed state champion medals last month at the Oregon State Gymnastics Championships in Grants Pass. The two train with Riverside Gymnastics in The Dalles and traveled with eight others who also brought home first-place honors in individual events.
Johnston, competing in Level 3 events, was first in vault, first in floor, second in beam, sixth in bars and second all-around. Miller, at Level 4, was first in vault, third in bars, fourth in floor, seventh in beam and third all-around.
The girls qualified for the state competition by finishing in the top of their division at the preceding Oregon Northern Sectional Qualifier.
“I’m really glad the hard work has paid off so well,“ Miller said after earning her medals.
“It’s been a fun year having so many teammates and being able to win as a team,” Johnston said.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge