Saturday, January 18, 2014
Hood River native and amateur mixed martial arts fighter Scott Baker will step into the cage later this month for a shot at a Full Contact Fighting Federation championship belt. With three wins in his career, Baker will challenge Daniel Dieringer in the FCFF’s 170-pound welterweight bout at the Jan. 25 “Rumble at the Roseland 76.”
The night will feature five FCFF Championship fights at Portland’s Roseland Theater, with Baker’s fight booked as a title fight leading up to the top clashes of the night for the lightweight title between lightweight fighters Bryan Nuro and Justin True and heavyweights Tyree Fortune and Wade Sauer.
Baker had his a memorable MMA debut in June 2012 when he recorded a first-round choke-out over opponent David Pedersen, who a few months later was charged with the murder of four people. His other two wins came in the form of a knockout and a submission. Baker earned a shot at the title after winning a fight at last July’s Rumble at the Roseland 72 against Shane Patterson, who had beat Baker in their first meeting.
“These fighters are going to leave it all in the cage; it’s going to be a battle,” said Kevin Keeney, FCFF co-owner and matchmaker. “Daniel and Scott have a similar history and both really want this belt. The Baker brothers have been chasing an FCFF belt for some time without success. This is Scott’s chance to bring it home to Hood River.“
Keeny’s reference to the Baker brothers includes Sean Baker, also an MMA fighter, who is currently coaching Hood River Middle School’s wrestling team. Sean is 6-2 in his amateur career.
n Doors open at 6 p.m. at the Roseland Theater, fights begin at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at Safeway Ticketwest outlets, online or at the door. Updated information is online at thefcff.com.
More like this story
- Death Notices for Oct. 1: Jack Stone, Jack Stone, Viola Wells, and Gerald Culp
- Service Announcement for Oct. 1: Calvin Peck
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge