Saturday, January 18, 2014
Hood River native and amateur mixed martial arts fighter Scott Baker will step into the cage later this month for a shot at a Full Contact Fighting Federation championship belt. With three wins in his career, Baker will challenge Daniel Dieringer in the FCFF’s 170-pound welterweight bout at the Jan. 25 “Rumble at the Roseland 76.”
The night will feature five FCFF Championship fights at Portland’s Roseland Theater, with Baker’s fight booked as a title fight leading up to the top clashes of the night for the lightweight title between lightweight fighters Bryan Nuro and Justin True and heavyweights Tyree Fortune and Wade Sauer.
Baker had his a memorable MMA debut in June 2012 when he recorded a first-round choke-out over opponent David Pedersen, who a few months later was charged with the murder of four people. His other two wins came in the form of a knockout and a submission. Baker earned a shot at the title after winning a fight at last July’s Rumble at the Roseland 72 against Shane Patterson, who had beat Baker in their first meeting.
“These fighters are going to leave it all in the cage; it’s going to be a battle,” said Kevin Keeney, FCFF co-owner and matchmaker. “Daniel and Scott have a similar history and both really want this belt. The Baker brothers have been chasing an FCFF belt for some time without success. This is Scott’s chance to bring it home to Hood River.“
Keeny’s reference to the Baker brothers includes Sean Baker, also an MMA fighter, who is currently coaching Hood River Middle School’s wrestling team. Sean is 6-2 in his amateur career.
n Doors open at 6 p.m. at the Roseland Theater, fights begin at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at Safeway Ticketwest outlets, online or at the door. Updated information is online at thefcff.com.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge