Saturday, January 25, 2014
Online voting is open for the annual Oregon Sports Awards, which honor the state’s best and most dedicated high school and college athletes. In the running for two awards are standout Hood River Valley High School athletes Kyle Beam and Giovani Magana.
Online voting for the awards can be found at oregonsportsawards.com.
Beam, a class of 2013 catcher for the HRV baseball team, is up for the Prep Baseball Player of the Year award; he is a finalist running against players Austin Kelly of Clackamas High and Cooper Stiles of Sheldon High.
Magana, a HRVHS sophomore, is up for the Prep Soccer Player of the Year award against Jake McAllister of Sisters High and Christo Michaelson of Jesuit.
Awards will be announced at the Feb. 9 Oregon Sports Awards ceremony.
More like this story
- Death notices for May 4: Jerry Osbourn, Edward Adams, and John Phillips
- Service announcement for May 4: Audrey Thornton
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge