Saturday, January 25, 2014
Horizon Christian School varsity boys basketball team upped its winning streak to 13 this week with an 82-51 win at home over south Wasco County. Jared Davis was on fire in his 24½ minutes of play, shooting 11 for 15, or 73 percent, from the field for a team-high 30 points. He also led with nine assists and six steals. Mason Bloomster and Matt Totaro contributed 14 points each, followed by Micah Engel and RJ Hicks, who had seven apiece from lead the team in scoring.
The win is the latest in a string of blowouts the Hawks have amassed, including the last six by 30 points or more. The 1A No. 1-ranked team hosted Condon/Wheeler Friday evening (results not available as of press time) and travel Saturday to Nixyaawii and have a week break in action before playing six games in the final two weeks of the regular season.
n Horizon girls: The tale has been the opposite in Horizon girls action, as the Hawks work through what was expected to be a building season for the young program. Trista Hicks led the team with 13 points and 11 rebounds in Tuesday’s matchup against South Wasco, which ended 47-21 in favor of the Redsides. Chantele Carter and Hannah Kempf had four points each to round out scoring for the Hawks, now 0-6 in Big Sky League action.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge