Saturday, January 25, 2014
An interactive event promises romance, an Italian dinner, dancing, troubadours, and intrigue as you discover how Valentine’s Day began when you step back to 269 AD and meet Father Valentine, (played by Lou DeSitter) Feb. 14, at the Hood River Elks Club at 6 p.m.
As you arrive, you will also meet host Antonio, (played by Ernesto Romero) who will be warning guests to be wary of who they talk too, and what they say since it is rumored that spies may be in the crowd (played by District Attorney John Sewell and orchardist Mike Oates).
Stories are circulating that Father Valentine has ignored Caesar Claudius II’s decree that forbids any of his new recruits from getting married, and has married a number of young maidens to the soldiers of the Roman Legion. Should anyone suspect that this Festival is a marriage ceremony in disguise, the commander of the Roman Royal Guard (played by Sheriff Matt English) is sure to show up to find out the truth.
You will also have the experience of enjoying some special music by traveling troubadours who will be on hand to serenade your valentine.
Troubadours will include Pat Rawson, Brian Rust, Lori Connelly and duo Patty Schend and Kathy Oates. Photographer Gordon Leigh will be taking pictures.
The evening will also include St. Valentine’s blessing for each couple for the coming year. Details in upcoming editions
Cost is $75 per couple; ticket sales end Feb. 6 or when all 60 are sold. Tickets are available at Waucoma Bookstore, Elks Club or at St. Mary’s Catholic Church.
More like this story
- Cascade Locks brush fire contained
- Lorang Fine Art open house will be Oct. 4
- Body of missing paddle boarder found in Columbia River
- Lummi Totem visits Hood River
- Living with Smoke
- Toward a healthier HRV: Health Center serves students this fall
- CL Port hosts Aug. 29 Bridge of the Gods walk
- Lost hiker, 75, found safe at Laurance Lake
- Brian Stenberg returns to his roots as Horizon’s new A.D.
- In its fifth running, Paddle Challenge is bigger than ever
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near the Colubmia River in Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge