Wednesday, January 29, 2014
A record number of tuxedos — at least since the Roaring ‘20s — was seen Friday night at the Chamber of Commerce Membership Appreciation event at Columbia Gorge Hotel.
In keeping with the “Great Gatsby” costume theme, many gentlemen dressed to the nines and many ladies arrived in flapper-style dresses, pearls and the broad head scarf fashion of the era.
Arrayed in his usual white smock, Chef Paul Robinson shifted from the carving table to the podium to accept the gavel from 2013 Chamber board president Bob Fox.
The brief program also included remarks by State Rep. Mark Johnson, who said “the Hood River Chamber of Commerce truly represents this community.”
Chamber Executive Director Mike Glover said, “We had a really good year, thanks to our outstanding staff and board. We had record response to a number of our events, and we are really looking forward to great things in 2014.” He credited the efforts of Marketing Coordinator Kerry Cobb, Events Coordinator Ashley Huckaby and her assistant, Dean Pivirotto, and Membership Coordinator Avery Pickard.
Hood River Supply received the Business of the Year award, accepted by CEO Pat McAllister, for the hardware supply’s major expansion on the Heights.
For his frequent donation of photography services at community events, Raymond Perkins received the Don Benton Community Service Award.
Fox announced that the Chamber Member of the Year award went to his mentor, Chris Strader, a past Chamber president and member of Chamber Ambassador. Strader and his wife, Julie, are owners of Hood River Jewelers.
Joining the Chamber Board are Janet Davis of Our Children’s Place and Susan Frost of Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital. Strader and Christina Vanderwerf of Providence are stepping down.
Remaining board members are attorney Johnston Dunn, Craig Bowder of Columbia State Bank, Jason Shaner of River’s Edge Towing, Eric Walker of Hood River County Planning Department, Jon Malesko of Doug’s, and Linda Barber of Mt. Hood Winery.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge