Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Hood River Valley High School ski team had a repeat performance this week as both boys and girls downhill teams took first place in Mt. Hood League slalom racing action at Mt. Hood Meadows Saturday. The team result follows a Jan. 18 slalom race that again had both HRV teams finishing with the fastest marks of the day.
The boys team saw Austin Keillor (first), Chase Lariza (fourth) and Oskar Anderson (ninth) finish in the top 10 to give the team a nearly 30-second lead over second-place The Dalles-Wahtonka. The HRV girls finished with an even larger differential, with a combined time of just over a minute faster than runner-up St. Mary’s. Lucy McLean (first) posted the fastest two runs of the field, followed by Kelli Clark in second and Samantha Davies in seventh.
Korey Cimock had the second-fastest first run time but had a DQ in her second to knock her out of the running. Similarly, Savannah Boersma had a top-10 first run and was disqualified on her second. On the boys side, Patrick Crompton posted the fifth-fastest first run but was disqualified on his second and Charlie Sutherland had a DQ on his first and posted the fourth-fastest run on his second.
The HRV freestyle team took advantage of clear skies and ideal spring-like course conditions Sunday for a slopestyle contest at Timberline. Top finishers for the girls were Hannah Bergemann, Savannah Boersma and Laura Scarborough, who finished one-two-three for the team. Tucker FitzSimons and Torsenn Brown were first and second in the boys field.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge