Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Hood River Valley High School ski team had a repeat performance this week as both boys and girls downhill teams took first place in Mt. Hood League slalom racing action at Mt. Hood Meadows Saturday. The team result follows a Jan. 18 slalom race that again had both HRV teams finishing with the fastest marks of the day.
The boys team saw Austin Keillor (first), Chase Lariza (fourth) and Oskar Anderson (ninth) finish in the top 10 to give the team a nearly 30-second lead over second-place The Dalles-Wahtonka. The HRV girls finished with an even larger differential, with a combined time of just over a minute faster than runner-up St. Mary’s. Lucy McLean (first) posted the fastest two runs of the field, followed by Kelli Clark in second and Samantha Davies in seventh.
Korey Cimock had the second-fastest first run time but had a DQ in her second to knock her out of the running. Similarly, Savannah Boersma had a top-10 first run and was disqualified on her second. On the boys side, Patrick Crompton posted the fifth-fastest first run but was disqualified on his second and Charlie Sutherland had a DQ on his first and posted the fourth-fastest run on his second.
The HRV freestyle team took advantage of clear skies and ideal spring-like course conditions Sunday for a slopestyle contest at Timberline. Top finishers for the girls were Hannah Bergemann, Savannah Boersma and Laura Scarborough, who finished one-two-three for the team. Tucker FitzSimons and Torsenn Brown were first and second in the boys field.
More like this story
- Aporkalypse: Bacon contest fattens coffers at Helping Hands
- The Ale List: ‘Zwickelmania’ returns, Full Sail taps Wheatwine
- YESTERYEARS: DaKine, Pro Motion relocating to Hood River in 1986
- Cascade Observations: Sweetness of Winter
- Parenting program starts in Cascade Locks
- Second Saturday will be all about pilots
- Five Gorge wines earn medals
- Revenue steps up fraud, identity theft prevention
- Father of the Bride
- City, county support affordable housing bill