Saturday, July 19, 2014
During the summer, blood donations typically drop off dramatically as donors go on vacation and schools close, but the need for blood never takes a holiday.
The next opportunity to give in Hood River will be July 24, 1 to 6 p.m. at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn.
Call Margo Parker to set up an appointment at 541-387-3669, or online at www.redcrossblood.org
Individuals’ needs vary greatly, and sometimes turn into emergencies. Red Cross literature describes the life-threatening surgery and recovery of one mother, Gina Walker, who was scheduled for C-section after being diagnosed with placenta accreta, in which the placenta attaches itself too deeply into the wall of the uterus. Doctors called for 30 units of blood in the delivery room but the surgery took far longer than expected, much more blood was needed in ICU, and subsequent surgeries required even more supplies. Walker has since established a nonprofit organization, Hope for Accreta, to raise awareness of the condition, which affects one in 2,500 pregnancies, all needing adequate supplies of blood.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge