Saturday, July 19, 2014
During the summer, blood donations typically drop off dramatically as donors go on vacation and schools close, but the need for blood never takes a holiday.
The next opportunity to give in Hood River will be July 24, 1 to 6 p.m. at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn.
Call Margo Parker to set up an appointment at 541-387-3669, or online at www.redcrossblood.org
Individuals’ needs vary greatly, and sometimes turn into emergencies. Red Cross literature describes the life-threatening surgery and recovery of one mother, Gina Walker, who was scheduled for C-section after being diagnosed with placenta accreta, in which the placenta attaches itself too deeply into the wall of the uterus. Doctors called for 30 units of blood in the delivery room but the surgery took far longer than expected, much more blood was needed in ICU, and subsequent surgeries required even more supplies. Walker has since established a nonprofit organization, Hope for Accreta, to raise awareness of the condition, which affects one in 2,500 pregnancies, all needing adequate supplies of blood.
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge