Saturday, July 19, 2014
During the summer, blood donations typically drop off dramatically as donors go on vacation and schools close, but the need for blood never takes a holiday.
The next opportunity to give in Hood River will be July 24, 1 to 6 p.m. at Best Western Plus Hood River Inn.
Call Margo Parker to set up an appointment at 541-387-3669, or online at www.redcrossblood.org
Individuals’ needs vary greatly, and sometimes turn into emergencies. Red Cross literature describes the life-threatening surgery and recovery of one mother, Gina Walker, who was scheduled for C-section after being diagnosed with placenta accreta, in which the placenta attaches itself too deeply into the wall of the uterus. Doctors called for 30 units of blood in the delivery room but the surgery took far longer than expected, much more blood was needed in ICU, and subsequent surgeries required even more supplies. Walker has since established a nonprofit organization, Hope for Accreta, to raise awareness of the condition, which affects one in 2,500 pregnancies, all needing adequate supplies of blood.
More like this story
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
- FILL THE BOOT
- 4-H Results, 2017 Hood River County Fair
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge