Wednesday, June 4, 2014
The Historic Mint Building and Fort Dalles Days Steering Committee announces the 1st Annual Chili Cook-Off and Benefit sponsored by The Mint. The highlight of this event, which will be July 11 from 6-10 p.m. in the Historic Mint Building located at 710 E. Second St., is that all proceeds will benefit Providence Hospice of the Gorge Children’s Grief Groups.
The benefit will be open to up to 40 entrants, in three categories: corporate, nonprofit and individuals. Entrant applications and rules can be obtained online at fortdallesdays.com or by calling 541-296-2100.
There will be a $5 entrance fee for the general public on the night of the event. Beer, wine and other beverages will be available for purchase; a dessert bar will also be available. The event will feature live entertainment.
There will be prizes given for Judge’s Choice, People’s Choice, and best booth decoration.
Providence Hospice of the Gorge Children’s Grief Groups’ mission and goal is to provide a safe place for grieving families in the Columbia Gorge to mourn the death of a family member. The organization meets every other Thursday, September through April, and has three peer support groups occurring simultaneously: one for children, one for teens and one for caregivers. Dinner is provided and gas cards are available.
There is no charge for its services and the groups are open and on-going. Referrals are welcome throughout the year. Additional information and resources are available including pamphlets on grieving children and teens and understanding their needs in funeral planning and services.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge