Tuesday, June 17, 2014
Johnny Van Ras
A Celebration of Life for Johnny Olen Van Ras, who passed away Jan. 17, 2014, will be held at the Hood River Valley Christian Church, 975 Indian Creek Road, on Saturday, June 21, at 1 p.m.
Johnny is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, his sister Florence Chandler and his three sons, Scot, Vic and Joe. In addition, he has six grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations may be made to the veterans organization of your choice.
A Celebration of Life for Lydia Vallier (Gaines) Cagle, who passed away June 2, 2014, will be held Saturday, June 21, at 1:30 p.m. at Anderson’s Tribute Center.
Arrangements are under the direction of Anderson’s Tribute Center (Funerals, Receptions, Cremations), 1401 Belmont Ave., Hood River, OR 97031; 541-386-1000. Please visit andersonstributecenter.com to leave a note of condolence for family.
Jack Robert Smith, 90, passed away in Portland, Ore., June 14, 2014. Jack was born Nov. 21, 1923, in Jamesport, Mo., to Clay Warren and Avelon Clark Smith.
A memorial service will be held Friday, June 20, at the Eastside Church of Christ, 9030 N.E. Glisan, in Portland, beginning at 11 a.m.
More like this story
- Boys soccer goes on the road and ties Hermiston
- Sports briefs for Oct. 21
- Kegler's Corner: Buck and Miller Shine
- Taste of Tsuruta benefit dinner Nov. 4 at Mt. Hood Winery
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner Oct. 21
- Mosier Senior Center hosts Harvest Fair
- Blacksmith Bob Denman at District Garden Club meeting Oct. 28
- ‘Gen Silent’ film, workshop on Oct. 25
- ‘Gender, Dignity and Freedom’ Oct. 24: Gender identity panel
- Sheriff Log, Oct. 8 to 14
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge