Saturday, March 15, 2014
About 200 people attended the third-annual Feast of Words at Hood River Library on March 8.
Organizer Jen Bayer said the event came within a few hundred dollars of the $25,000 goal.
It was the one time each year that food and drink are allowed in the library. Hood River Library Foundation hosts the event to raise funds for needed improvements in the three buildings operated ty the Library District, which two years ago became a separate taxing district. In addition to tax revenue, the library relies upon community donations to fulfill all needs for programs, equipment and materials.
“Feast of Words” proceeds will go to the field this year: in Cascade Locks, the library will move from City Hall to the Cascade Locks School, giving the branch more room and the opportunity to partner with the school district and Mt. Hood Community College. The Parkdale branch will get a much-needed facelift including new carpeting, furniture and a defined children’s space.
On March 8 at the Hood River branch, computers were disconnected and removed from the atrium and the tables filled instead with sweet and savory appetizers donated by dozens of local restaurants and individuals, all of it organized by Polly Wood.
David Griffith called for bids in the live auction, and attendees also bid on donated items in the silent auction.
Event sponsors are the Mary Hoyt Stevenson Foundation, Portland Spirit/Columbia Gorge Sternwheeler, Double Mountain Brewery, Nestlé Waters, Cardinal Glass, Best Western Hood River Inn, Best Western Columbia River Inn, Bear Mountain Forest Products, Sierra Olympic Technologies, McIsaac’s Store, and Hutson Museum. Beer and wine sponsors are Double Mountain Brewery and Viento Wines.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge