Saturday, March 15, 2014
The Hood River Valley High School Speech and Debate Team is hosting the OSAA District 9 Speech and Debate Championships this year, on April 5 from 9 a.m. to about 7 p.m.
Adult volunteers are needed to judge, according to Jonathan Estey, coach at HRV, who will be organizer of the event, held at HRVHS.
“We need community judges of all experience levels,” Estey said. “It takes 45-50 judges to run an event like this smoothly, so we need all the help we can get.” The students compete in a variety of events, from single and dual debate to impromptu.
High school students will compete for the chance to go to the state championships on April 24, 25, and 26.
Participating teams will be from Hood River Valley, Horizon Christian, Hermiston, Pine Eagle, and Ione high schools. Volunteers can contact Estey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Mosier groundwater contaminated after derailment spill
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge