Saturday, March 15, 2014
The Hood River Valley High School Speech and Debate Team is hosting the OSAA District 9 Speech and Debate Championships this year, on April 5 from 9 a.m. to about 7 p.m.
Adult volunteers are needed to judge, according to Jonathan Estey, coach at HRV, who will be organizer of the event, held at HRVHS.
“We need community judges of all experience levels,” Estey said. “It takes 45-50 judges to run an event like this smoothly, so we need all the help we can get.” The students compete in a variety of events, from single and dual debate to impromptu.
High school students will compete for the chance to go to the state championships on April 24, 25, and 26.
Participating teams will be from Hood River Valley, Horizon Christian, Hermiston, Pine Eagle, and Ione high schools. Volunteers can contact Estey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge