Saturday, March 15, 2014
Hood River Valley High School is supporting the 17th annual Community Work Day Thursday, May 1. Though the event is more than a month away, businesses and other sponsors, as well as potential recipients, may sign up any time.
Community Work Day is an opportunity for students from HRVHS to partner with local business owners or individuals for five hours to do work for the business/individual. For five hours of a student’s time, the business/individual pledges a $50 donation to HRVHS/CWD. All money raised by the students for is donated to local nonprofit(s).
Local nonprofit organizations are invited to present to a student panel on April 17 at 1:45 p.m. The purpose is to familiarize the students with the organization. Students will vote to decide which and how much money the organization(s) receives. Past Community Work Day events have generated upwards of $20,000; this money is donated to local nonprofit organizations.
If your organization is interested in presenting or if you are interested in sponsoring a student (or multiple students), contact Wendy Herman by April 15 at 541-387-5034, ext. 1, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payments by check are preferred; make payable to HRVHS/CWD (include the student’s name in the memo line). Payment should be given to the student(s), who are to turn their payment in to the school’s SUMMIT Career Center on May 2.
Payments may be mailed to HRVHS/CWD, 1220 Indian Creek Road, Hood River, OR 97031 if the individual/business prefers. All donations are tax-deductible.
More like this story
- Aporkalypse: Bacon contest fattens coffers at Helping Hands
- The Ale List: ‘Zwickelmania’ returns, Full Sail taps Wheatwine
- YESTERYEARS: DaKine, Pro Motion relocating to Hood River in 1986
- Cascade Observations: Sweetness of Winter
- Parenting program starts in Cascade Locks
- Second Saturday will be all about pilots
- Five Gorge wines earn medals
- Revenue steps up fraud, identity theft prevention
- Father of the Bride
- City, county support affordable housing bill