Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Mosier readers stood out as the students of Hood River, Sherman, and Wasco counties held their regional Oregon Battle of the Books tournament March 15 at The Dalles Middle School.
In the third-fifth grade division Mosier Community School won, with Colonel Wright Elementary School taking second. The sixth-eighth grade division finals pitted Mosier Middle School against Wy’east Middle School, with Mosier victorious. In the ninth-12th grade division, South Wasco County High School topped The Dalles High School.
OBOB Regional Manager Jim Tindall said, “The teams were all very well coached. Students came well-read and with great sportsmanship, and all schools were supported with a cheering section.”
Tindall noted that “it takes dozens of volunteers to make an event like this happen and we especially want to thank The Dalles chapter of Rotary and Klindt’s Booksellers for their commitment to OBOB. Thanks to The Dalles Police Department for aiding in crowd control. Thanks, too, go to Sen. Ted Ferrioli for opening the tournament and to The Dalles High School ASB for acting as the food concessionaire.”
More like this story
- Team Osprey competes in Bend Winter Invitational
- Sports briefs for Dec. 13
- Letters to the Editor for Dec. 13
- Off the Rails: Protest oil train regulation rollback
- Hood River Bridge replacement: Understanding the WHATs
- Sheriff's Log, Nov. 26 to Dec. 10
- Happiness Month profile: Slowing down with ‘The Daily Three’
- Menorah Installed
- How to help during the holidays
- Students of the Month: Elks Lodge honors Zorza and Castañeda