Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Mosier readers stood out as the students of Hood River, Sherman, and Wasco counties held their regional Oregon Battle of the Books tournament March 15 at The Dalles Middle School.
In the third-fifth grade division Mosier Community School won, with Colonel Wright Elementary School taking second. The sixth-eighth grade division finals pitted Mosier Middle School against Wy’east Middle School, with Mosier victorious. In the ninth-12th grade division, South Wasco County High School topped The Dalles High School.
OBOB Regional Manager Jim Tindall said, “The teams were all very well coached. Students came well-read and with great sportsmanship, and all schools were supported with a cheering section.”
Tindall noted that “it takes dozens of volunteers to make an event like this happen and we especially want to thank The Dalles chapter of Rotary and Klindt’s Booksellers for their commitment to OBOB. Thanks to The Dalles Police Department for aiding in crowd control. Thanks, too, go to Sen. Ted Ferrioli for opening the tournament and to The Dalles High School ASB for acting as the food concessionaire.”
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge