Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Mosier readers stood out as the students of Hood River, Sherman, and Wasco counties held their regional Oregon Battle of the Books tournament March 15 at The Dalles Middle School.
In the third-fifth grade division Mosier Community School won, with Colonel Wright Elementary School taking second. The sixth-eighth grade division finals pitted Mosier Middle School against Wy’east Middle School, with Mosier victorious. In the ninth-12th grade division, South Wasco County High School topped The Dalles High School.
OBOB Regional Manager Jim Tindall said, “The teams were all very well coached. Students came well-read and with great sportsmanship, and all schools were supported with a cheering section.”
Tindall noted that “it takes dozens of volunteers to make an event like this happen and we especially want to thank The Dalles chapter of Rotary and Klindt’s Booksellers for their commitment to OBOB. Thanks to The Dalles Police Department for aiding in crowd control. Thanks, too, go to Sen. Ted Ferrioli for opening the tournament and to The Dalles High School ASB for acting as the food concessionaire.”
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge