Saturday, March 22, 2014
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Columbia Gorge held its first ever tennis clinic for Bigs and Littles on Sunday, March 16, on the newly renovated Hood River Community Tennis Courts. The clinic was one of many community outreach programs the Hood River Community Tennis Court Committee vowed to carry out when it spearheaded efforts to revamp the dilapidated courts last year. Improvements include an all new Premier Court surface, new nets, updated lighting, additional seating for spectators, and beautifully landscaped viewing area. The courts were completed in September 2013.
The clinic was attended by about 10 Bigs and Littles from Hood River, Klickitat, and Wasco counties and instructed by volunteers from the Hood River Valley High School girls’ tennis team. Little Sister Cheyenne had no tennis experience prior to the clinic, but with the support of her Big Sister Osa, Cheyenne had a blast and was making consistent contact with the ball after just a couple of drills.
Big Brothers Big Sisters, a program of The Next Door, provides children between the ages of 6 and 14 with one-to-one mentoring relationships with adult volunteers. To become a volunteer mentor or to refer a child, contact Justine Ziegler at 541-490-9979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Aporkalypse: Bacon contest fattens coffers at Helping Hands
- The Ale List: ‘Zwickelmania’ returns, Full Sail taps Wheatwine
- YESTERYEARS: DaKine, Pro Motion relocating to Hood River in 1986
- Cascade Observations: Sweetness of Winter
- Parenting program starts in Cascade Locks
- Second Saturday will be all about pilots
- Five Gorge wines earn medals
- Revenue steps up fraud, identity theft prevention
- Father of the Bride
- City, county support affordable housing bill