Saturday, March 22, 2014
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Columbia Gorge held its first ever tennis clinic for Bigs and Littles on Sunday, March 16, on the newly renovated Hood River Community Tennis Courts. The clinic was one of many community outreach programs the Hood River Community Tennis Court Committee vowed to carry out when it spearheaded efforts to revamp the dilapidated courts last year. Improvements include an all new Premier Court surface, new nets, updated lighting, additional seating for spectators, and beautifully landscaped viewing area. The courts were completed in September 2013.
The clinic was attended by about 10 Bigs and Littles from Hood River, Klickitat, and Wasco counties and instructed by volunteers from the Hood River Valley High School girls’ tennis team. Little Sister Cheyenne had no tennis experience prior to the clinic, but with the support of her Big Sister Osa, Cheyenne had a blast and was making consistent contact with the ball after just a couple of drills.
Big Brothers Big Sisters, a program of The Next Door, provides children between the ages of 6 and 14 with one-to-one mentoring relationships with adult volunteers. To become a volunteer mentor or to refer a child, contact Justine Ziegler at 541-490-9979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge