Saturday, March 22, 2014
A group of middle schoolers got together Wednesday after school at Skylight Theatre.
What’s so unusual about teenagers flocking to the movie house?
It was what was on the screen: a DVD presentation of “The Kid Next Door,” the musical by Mark Steighner, presented by the Hood River Middle School drama department in early March.
Parents and Andrew’s Pizza/Skylight Theatre hosted the screening of the DVD and all cast members were invited to attend. Principal Brent Emmons and family also attended.
Music teacher Rebecca Nederhiser said, “Since our first musical three years ago, it has been a tradition to have our cast party at Andrew’s Pizza.
“Shawn Meyle from the high school records a DVD of our performance, allowing the kids the experience of seeing themselves on stage. Being backstage during the show, for many of them, this is the first time that they see it as one fluid entity.
“It is a great way for the cast to celebrate their hard work, while laughing and eating pizza in the theater,” Nederhiser said. “This year we were fortunate to have donations from community members to help support this experience. We appreciate Andrew’s Pizza and their willingness to host us each year!”
Past parties have been for the productions of “The Princess Slob” and “Three and a Half Wishes” in 2012 and 2013, also written by Steighner.
Skylight Theatre closed April 7-25
Skylight Theatre will close April 7-25 for theater and lobby renovations, but Andrew’s Pizza will remain open. Renovations started earlier this month in the lobby.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge