Wednesday, March 26, 2014
The Horizon Hawks bounced back from a 5-3 first game loss with a 10-1 slugfest to split a home doubleheader against Western Mennonite of Salem Saturday at Collins Field. Playing in glorious spring conditions, the Hawks, now 2-1 in their nonleague schedule, managed five hits but left seven on base and suffered the fate of a couple badly timed errors in the first of the two games. The score was tied 3-3 going into the seventh, when Horizon allowed two runs to give the visiting Pioneers the win.
Micah Engel led the team at bat with two RBI, while Kirby Carter and Engle split time on the mound. Carter struck out five in his three and a third innings and Engel struck out eight as the closer. Meanwhile, Western’s pitcher Richard Monaco pitched a complete game, giving the Hawks trouble with his strong fastball and curve.
Game two was another story for the Hawks, who amassed eight hits and took full advantage of six WM errors in a 10-1 trouncing to end the day on a high note. Carter led the way at bat, hitting three of four and stealing five bases; Engel reached home three times, while Engel and Jared Bryan each scored twice. Freshman pitcher Ethan Evans started on the mound and followed with five strong innings in which he allowed one run and three hits while striking out five and walking none. Matt Tataro and Quinn Roetcisoender finished the game on the hill, both keeping the Pioneers to their sole first-inning run.
The Hawks played Santiam Christian Tuesday and return home March 31 to host Vernonia, 4:30 p.m. at Collins Field.
More like this story
- Aporkalypse: Bacon contest fattens coffers at Helping Hands
- The Ale List: ‘Zwickelmania’ returns, Full Sail taps Wheatwine
- YESTERYEARS: DaKine, Pro Motion relocating to Hood River in 1986
- Cascade Observations: Sweetness of Winter
- Parenting program starts in Cascade Locks
- Second Saturday will be all about pilots
- Five Gorge wines earn medals
- Revenue steps up fraud, identity theft prevention
- Father of the Bride
- City, county support affordable housing bill