Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Miranda Starr and Maddy Graham won in singles action and duos of Ellie Webb/Olivia Newcomb, Camaryn Chambers/Eva Kahn and Annelise Acosta/Vanessa Olivas scored wins for the Eagles last week in the team’s home dual against Parkrose. The overall tally gave HRV the 5-3 win going into this week’s spring vacation.
At No. 1 singles, Starr impressed her coaches with one of the most aggressive games of her career to take the 9-3, 6-3 win. Graham, at No. 2 singles bounced back after a 6-2 loss to win the next two 6-2, 1-0 for the comeback win.
“I told Maddy on one of the change-overs early in the second set that the player who was more consistent was going to come out with the win,” coach Justine Ziegner commented. “And that’s the thing about Maddy; she wants the win. She cut down her unforced errors, moved her opponent around the court and simply wouldn’t leave the court without the win.”
The No. 1 doubles duo of Webb and Newcomb won 6-2, 6-1 in an intelligent and well-played match; Chambers and Kahn had little trouble with their No. 2 doubles opponents, winning 6-1, 6-0 and Acosta and Olivas won a hard fought 6-3, 7-6 match at No. 3 doubles.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge