Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Miranda Starr and Maddy Graham won in singles action and duos of Ellie Webb/Olivia Newcomb, Camaryn Chambers/Eva Kahn and Annelise Acosta/Vanessa Olivas scored wins for the Eagles last week in the team’s home dual against Parkrose. The overall tally gave HRV the 5-3 win going into this week’s spring vacation.
At No. 1 singles, Starr impressed her coaches with one of the most aggressive games of her career to take the 9-3, 6-3 win. Graham, at No. 2 singles bounced back after a 6-2 loss to win the next two 6-2, 1-0 for the comeback win.
“I told Maddy on one of the change-overs early in the second set that the player who was more consistent was going to come out with the win,” coach Justine Ziegner commented. “And that’s the thing about Maddy; she wants the win. She cut down her unforced errors, moved her opponent around the court and simply wouldn’t leave the court without the win.”
The No. 1 doubles duo of Webb and Newcomb won 6-2, 6-1 in an intelligent and well-played match; Chambers and Kahn had little trouble with their No. 2 doubles opponents, winning 6-1, 6-0 and Acosta and Olivas won a hard fought 6-3, 7-6 match at No. 3 doubles.
More like this story
- Wy’east High School Class of ’67 plans reunion
- Coming in August to the Hood River Library
- RC Car Club meeting
- Letters to the Editor for July 29
- Another Voice: The best path forward — Fixing, not replacing, the ACA
- Medieval fair takes over Cascade Locks Marine Park Aug. 5
- The Porch: Numbered Stairs mystery solved
- Business Notes: Wells Fargo promotes Trusov, Windermere expands
- End the cruel and dangerous practice of leaving pets in hot cars
- Church News: River of Life plans VBS
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge