Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Miranda Starr and Maddy Graham won in singles action and duos of Ellie Webb/Olivia Newcomb, Camaryn Chambers/Eva Kahn and Annelise Acosta/Vanessa Olivas scored wins for the Eagles last week in the team’s home dual against Parkrose. The overall tally gave HRV the 5-3 win going into this week’s spring vacation.
At No. 1 singles, Starr impressed her coaches with one of the most aggressive games of her career to take the 9-3, 6-3 win. Graham, at No. 2 singles bounced back after a 6-2 loss to win the next two 6-2, 1-0 for the comeback win.
“I told Maddy on one of the change-overs early in the second set that the player who was more consistent was going to come out with the win,” coach Justine Ziegner commented. “And that’s the thing about Maddy; she wants the win. She cut down her unforced errors, moved her opponent around the court and simply wouldn’t leave the court without the win.”
The No. 1 doubles duo of Webb and Newcomb won 6-2, 6-1 in an intelligent and well-played match; Chambers and Kahn had little trouble with their No. 2 doubles opponents, winning 6-1, 6-0 and Acosta and Olivas won a hard fought 6-3, 7-6 match at No. 3 doubles.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge