Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Miranda Starr and Maddy Graham won in singles action and duos of Ellie Webb/Olivia Newcomb, Camaryn Chambers/Eva Kahn and Annelise Acosta/Vanessa Olivas scored wins for the Eagles last week in the team’s home dual against Parkrose. The overall tally gave HRV the 5-3 win going into this week’s spring vacation.
At No. 1 singles, Starr impressed her coaches with one of the most aggressive games of her career to take the 9-3, 6-3 win. Graham, at No. 2 singles bounced back after a 6-2 loss to win the next two 6-2, 1-0 for the comeback win.
“I told Maddy on one of the change-overs early in the second set that the player who was more consistent was going to come out with the win,” coach Justine Ziegner commented. “And that’s the thing about Maddy; she wants the win. She cut down her unforced errors, moved her opponent around the court and simply wouldn’t leave the court without the win.”
The No. 1 doubles duo of Webb and Newcomb won 6-2, 6-1 in an intelligent and well-played match; Chambers and Kahn had little trouble with their No. 2 doubles opponents, winning 6-1, 6-0 and Acosta and Olivas won a hard fought 6-3, 7-6 match at No. 3 doubles.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Postal Route 6 added to HR Postal Service 1975
- Art Sale and Show at CCA
- Wy’east lists first-quarter honor roll
- How to Help, updated for Nov. 25
- Friends of Mt. Adams host ‘Cougar Creek burn’ forum
- Freeze Frames
- Daily Bread: The parting gift
- Travelogue: Family’s two-year sojourn in Bangkok connects them to the people
- Ornament sale benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Gorge Owned presents ‘Glacier Caves of the Pacific Northwest’
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge