Wednesday, March 26, 2014
The Hood River Valley snowboard team sent six riders to the state competition in Bend earlier this month to compete in banked slalom, boardercross, slopestyle and halfpipe contests. Maddie Collins led the team’s results by bringing home a state title in the halfpipe and a fourth-place award in slopestyle. Her halfpipe result is a step above last year, when she finished runner-up to teammate Autumn Inouye.
Against a tough field of male competitors, HRV’s Ethan Field placed fourth out of 53 in the halfpipe to medal in the event. He also qualified for banked slalom, which he finished in 18th and slopestyle, which he put together two solid runs (a back cork three and a front three in his first and a back rewind three and a front cork nine in his second) to finish seventh out of 85.
Also representing Hood River were Travis Douval and Caleb Rocha in the halfpipe, Keenan Collins in banked slalom and Ian Barnard Davidson in banked slalom and slopestyle.
As a team, Hood River was 14th out of 26 — a decent showing considering it brought just six competitors to the event.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge