Saturday, March 29, 2014
Gorge Owned (GO!) welcomes writer and river guide Vince Welch to the Columbia Center for the Arts on April 2 for a lecture on Oregon native and legendary boatman Amos Burg.
Thought to be the last person to run all the major western rivers before dams made such voyages difficult or impossible, Burg was also the first to pilot a canoe down the Columbia and Snake rivers and the first to row an inflatable raft down the Green and Colorado rivers through the Grand Canyon.
Welch will speak at Columbia Center for the Arts. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and the lecture begins at 7 p.m. Come early to enjoy a glass of wine or beer and meet others in the community.
Burg roamed the world as a writer, lecturer and photographer for National Geographic and as an educational filmmaker for Encyclopedia Britannica. Welch will take us on a journey through time and then show “The Journey of Amos Burg,” a short film of Burg’s adventurous life. The audience will be invited to join a conversation about “a nomad’s sense of place.”
This lecture was made possible in part by a grant from Oregon Humanities (OH), a statewide nonprofit organization and an independent affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, which funds OH’s grant program.
The lecture is sponsored by The Kayak Shed, as well as numerous other local business and individual supporters.
Sense of Place is an annual lecture series that seeks to foster a deeper understanding of and connection to our landscape and to one other.
The April lecture is the final lecture in the 2013-2014 season. A new Sense of Place lecture series will launch next fall.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge