Saturday, March 29, 2014
PORTLAND, Ore. – The National Weather Service anticipates a strong, wet storm for northwest Oregon and southwest Washington tonight. Saturated soil conditions could lead to additional landslides, especially in the Coast Range, Willapa Hills, North Oregon Cascades, and Columbia River Gorge.
Learn more about landslides and debris flows and how to prepare for them:
Statewide Landslide Information Database: http://bit.ly/1pB...
Landslide and debris flow resources: http://bit.ly/1la...
Landslide fact sheet http://bit.ly/1i1...
Plan to be alert to weather conditions throughout the weekend. Flooding is not expected at this time, but additional landslides are possible. Caution should be used when traveling. People, structures and roads located below steep slopes in canyons and near the mouths of canyons may be at serious risk.
According to the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries, the most dangerous places include:
n Canyon bottoms, stream channels, and areas of rock and soil accumulation at the outlets of canyons
n Bases of steep hillsides
n Road cuts or other areas where slopes of hills have been excavated or over-steepened
n Places where slides or debris flows have occurred in the past
More like this story
- Storm raises risk of landslides in Columbia Rive Gorge
- Landslide Concerns: Danger increases following heavy rain periods
- SEVERE STORM WARNING FOR ALL WESTERN OREGON AND WASHINGTON
- HEAVY RAINS AND STRONG WINDS CONTINUE AT THE OREGON COAST: FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FOR ALL WESTERN OREGON
- Landslide on I-84 snarls traffic
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge