Saturday, May 10, 2014
THE DALLES — The Columbia Gorge Discovery Center is offering free admission to everyone during the annual Mother’s Day Extravaganza on May 11. The first 50 mothers will receive a special gift from the Columbia River Trading Company.
The Basalt Rock Café will be open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and will feature items from the daily menu. Order a specialty salad, artisan sandwich or wrap, and enjoy the open-air patio.
If you want to treat mom to a special lunch, a prime rib dinner plate will be available, with mashed potatoes, green beans seasoned with bacon, and dinner roll for $19.50.
Take a guided wildflower identification walk at 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Live raptor shows will be at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Columbia River Trading Co. will offer 20 percent off sale storewide.
Native plant seedlings from Milestone Nursery will be for sale from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The nursery, of Lyle, Wash., is a member of the Native Plant Network, and shares resources and talents which help conserve the Gorge’s native plants.
Gardening with native plants supports the ecological integrity of the Gorge and helps to maintain and extend the plant population.
Donna Enz brings her green thumb and knowledge of native plants to help with the sale.
More like this story
- Gorge quilters featured in area shows this summer and fall
- Entertainment Update for July 30
- ‘American Pickers’ seeks local troves
- Richard Tillinghast concert at library Aug 10
- Gorge Soup art grant applications due Aug. 20
- Elections 2016: Gudman talks state treasurer bid during Hood River visit
- Ways of the Wind: July weather a windfall
- ‘Officer Friendly’ Sergeant Jesse Flem retires after 30 years
- Summer construction closes roads in Mount Hood National Forest
- Chief Wells resigns from Fire Dept.
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge