Saturday, May 10, 2014
THE DALLES — The Columbia Gorge Discovery Center is offering free admission to everyone during the annual Mother’s Day Extravaganza on May 11. The first 50 mothers will receive a special gift from the Columbia River Trading Company.
The Basalt Rock Café will be open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and will feature items from the daily menu. Order a specialty salad, artisan sandwich or wrap, and enjoy the open-air patio.
If you want to treat mom to a special lunch, a prime rib dinner plate will be available, with mashed potatoes, green beans seasoned with bacon, and dinner roll for $19.50.
Take a guided wildflower identification walk at 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Live raptor shows will be at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Columbia River Trading Co. will offer 20 percent off sale storewide.
Native plant seedlings from Milestone Nursery will be for sale from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The nursery, of Lyle, Wash., is a member of the Native Plant Network, and shares resources and talents which help conserve the Gorge’s native plants.
Gardening with native plants supports the ecological integrity of the Gorge and helps to maintain and extend the plant population.
Donna Enz brings her green thumb and knowledge of native plants to help with the sale.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Westside forum July 26
- Fair Time: HOOD RIVER COUNTY FAIR — ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- YESTERYEARS: ‘Lassie’ films in HR in 1947
- Daily Bread: Blame it on The Moon
- McAlexanders celebrate 50th anniversary
- Hood River Library hosts Death Café
- Police Log, July 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, July 16 to 22
- Biologists give mixed news for Columbia steelhead
- Pet of the Week: Charlie is happy and playful
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge