Saturday, May 10, 2014
Hood River Valley High School alumni Katy Eddy posed for a photo recently alongside Warner Pacific College coach Frank Johnson, while signing a letter of intent to wrestle under scholarship for the school’s newly formed women’s wrestling team.
Eddy is a 2012 HRVHS graduate who highlighted her wrestling career by winning a national folkstyle title at 130 pounds. After graduating she signed to wrestle with Oklahoma City University, but later transferred to South Western Oregon Community College to finish out the year.
Eddy is the first to sign with Johnson and the new WPC wrestling program, which has been revived as part of the Restore College Wrestling movement. As it turns out, Johnson has a close connection to Hood River Valley wrestling; he and HRVHS head coach Trent Kroll were roommates and teammates on the Pacific University wrestling team.
Although he couldn’t give specifics yet, Kroll said Eddy most likely won’t be the only Eagle alumni present on WPC’s 2014-15 wrestling lineup.
More like this story
- Two escape from state corrections
- Sports briefs for Aug. 16
- Lost boy found safe near Parkdale
- YESTERYEARS: Hottest August day ever recorded in 1977
- Design for a legacy
- Pick of the Week: Jim Lommasson at CCA
- The mural and Nate Chavez
- Letters to the Editor, Aug. 16 edition
- City of Hood River: Mayor asks Rep. Walden to ‘join our collective call’ on energy
- Power line fire doused Monday
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge