Saturday, May 10, 2014
Hood River Valley High School alumni Katy Eddy posed for a photo recently alongside Warner Pacific College coach Frank Johnson, while signing a letter of intent to wrestle under scholarship for the school’s newly formed women’s wrestling team.
Eddy is a 2012 HRVHS graduate who highlighted her wrestling career by winning a national folkstyle title at 130 pounds. After graduating she signed to wrestle with Oklahoma City University, but later transferred to South Western Oregon Community College to finish out the year.
Eddy is the first to sign with Johnson and the new WPC wrestling program, which has been revived as part of the Restore College Wrestling movement. As it turns out, Johnson has a close connection to Hood River Valley wrestling; he and HRVHS head coach Trent Kroll were roommates and teammates on the Pacific University wrestling team.
Although he couldn’t give specifics yet, Kroll said Eddy most likely won’t be the only Eagle alumni present on WPC’s 2014-15 wrestling lineup.
More like this story
- Parkdale Pumpkin parade, fun run Oct. 29
- HR artist crafts White Salmon sign
- Three appeals filed on UP’s Mosier track project
- Search suspended for west Gorge hiker
- Yesteryears: Trailer-house colony plan to ease housing shortage abandoned in 1946
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’
- Police Log, Oct. 1 to 8
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 26
- ‘Remember Minoru’: Hood River community honors a civil rights hero
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 26
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge