Wednesday, May 14, 2014
An unfortunate but timely reminder during warm-ups of the risks skaters take in the sport of roller derby set the tone for Saturday’s home bout hosted by the Gorge Roller Girls. After receiving a standing ovation as paramedics hoisted a Storm City Roller Girls skater into an awaiting ambulance with a broken leg, players from both teams did a quick gear check with referees before getting started with the bout.
With close to 700 people filling the stands in the Hood River Valley High School gymnasium, the bout was loud, rowdy, rough-and-tumble — just the way the girls like it.
In their first bout in Hood River this season, the GRG All Stars pretty much annihilated the less-experienced Storm City team out of Vancouver, Wash., as was evident by a final score of 382-68.
“The energy our fans bring to bouts is unbeatable,” said Wreck-Less on behalf of the team. “Nothing is better than the adrenalin rush a skater gets when the crowd goes wild. This was probably the strongest game that we have played.”
GRG’s high scorer was Ginger Binger Danger Hips, whose quick and agile skating proved unstoppable for Storm City; she finished with a game-high 104 points for the home team. As is customary at the end of each bout, each team selected an MVP from the other team. Storm City voted Comet as the GRG’s MVP.
Saturday’s bout was the team’s sixth of the season. The team travels to Salem later this month to take on the Cherry City Derby Girls before returning to HRVHS on June 14 (6 p.m.) for the final bout of the season against the Atomic City Roller Girls out of Tri Cities.
For women interested in joining the action, the team is hosting a new skater intake event on May 18. For details or to register, send an email to email@example.com or visit gorgerollergirls.org.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge