Wednesday, May 21, 2014
With repairs and restoration completed, the historic Benson Bridge, is reopen to the public at Multnomah Falls as of Monday afternoon.
“I encourage visitors to come and see the newly restored bridge at Multnomah Falls,” said Lynn Burditt, Area Manager of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area Forest Service.
Repairs began on the Historic Benson Bridge at Multnomah Falls after the structure suffered damage from a rock fall that occurred early in the morning on Jan 9. Catworks Construction, a local company from Battle Ground, Wash., was awarded the contract for repairs and the bridge is on track to open by Memorial Day, if not sooner.
Scaffolding will be hung from the bridge for repair work and the bridge will be draped with special tarps to prevent debris from entering Multnomah Creek and impacting water quality and fish habitat. The Larch Mt. trail #441 will be closed from the plaza up to the bridge during the duration of the project. Multnomah Falls Lodge and Visitor Center are open for business and visitors can still get spectacular views from the plaza. Please be aware of construction activities at the site and know that the bridge will also be obscured during the project.
Other trail news:
The Oneonta Trail (#424) has been washed out at about milepost 1, making access to Triple Falls impossible from the north side (historic highway side). The Oneonta/Horsetail falls loop is still open and not affected by this slide. A geologist is assessing the situation to determine safety and the best method to rebuild the trail.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge